Cardamom is called the ‘Queen of Spices’ and very rightly so because it not only adds great essence and flavour to the tea but also has a huge list of health benefits. It is therefore not surprising that it is one of the most widely used spices in tea. Cardamom tea is almost everyone’s favourite form of tea.
Cardamom has its origin in the evergreen forests of India and also forms a part of Ayurvedic medicine and treatments due to its health benefits. Cardamom is derived from the crushed seeds of various plants in the Elettaria and Amomum genera. Cardamom seeds are obtained within a seed pod and they possess a very strong and aromatic flavour. It is one of the most expensive spices in the world.
Cardamom is usually added to black tea in the form of green cardamom powder or by freshly grounding cardamom and boiling it with the tea leaves. Water may or not be added to the cardamom tea as per personal taste and liking.
The broad benefits of cardamom tea are related to digestion, detoxification, dental health, diuretic effects, relief from depression and skin-related benefits.
These health benefits are because of the high concentrations of eucalyptol, camphor, limonene, alpha-pinene, beta-pinene and myrcene, as well as vitamin A, B and C, potassium, iron, magnesium, copper and zinc in the cardamom spice.
Benefits of Cardamom tea for skin
- Cardamom tea has a large number of antioxidants which help in fighting free radicals that may cause skin cancer. Because of these antioxidants, cardamom is also a great anti-ageing spice.
- It boosts overall blood circulation which makes the skin glow and look for radiant.
- With the large amounts of beneficial vitamins, minerals and anti-microbial agents, it is able to heal other skin related issues.
- It stimulates the regrowth of new cells and protects against infections and irritation in the future.
Benefits of Cardamom tea for hair
- Due to the anti-oxidant properties of cardamom seeds, it is able to strengthen weak hair strands and hence prevent breakage and hair fall. This gives an overall lustre and makes them appear strong and healthy.
- The anti-microbial properties and anti-bacterial properties of cardamom are helpful in fighting scalp related infections.
- The antiseptic property of cardamom tea also helps in relieving from scalp irritation and itchiness. It also protects the scalp against dryness and inflammation
Other benefits of Cardamom tea
- Cardamom is a reservoir of a host of vitamins like Vitamin A, B, C, riboflavin and minerals which are essential nutrients for the body. Though cleaning up free radicals, they help in resisting cellular ageing.
- The antioxidants like polyphenols are active components that play a huge role in fighting all types of cancer. These also make cardamom tea a great drink for the health of the heart. It prevents pulmonary and heart diseases. Cardamom tea is rich in potassium. Potassium is a vasodilator and reduces the strain on your arteries and blood vessels. This lowers the chances of heart attack or stroke.
- It improves overall blood circulation in the body and reduces the chances of blood pressure-related problems. Cardamom also prevents dangerous blood clots by preventing platelet aggregation and the sticking to the artery walls. As a diuretic and fibre-rich spice, cardamom significantly lowers blood pressure.
- From experience, many people claim that a cup of cardamom tea is helpful in providing relief from a headache. It is also helpful in treating nausea. Due to its pungent nature, it helps in preventing and relieving cold and flu symptoms. It’s also used for bronchitis and coughs.
- Cardamom as a spice is known to provide relief from digestive ailments and even reduce flatulence problems.
- It detoxifies the entire body system and hence boosts immunity. The volatile essential oils in cardamom inhibit the growth of viruses, bacteria, fungus, and other harmful organisms.
- Cardamom tea also has anti-inflammatory properties. Like ginger and turmeric, its relatives, cardamom has some anti-inflammatory properties that limit pain and swelling, especially in mucus membranes, the mouth, and throat.
- Cardamom spice helps in fighting bad breath issues. Along with that, it is also used for mouth ulcers and infections of the mouth and throat. Hence it helps in promoting overall dental health.
Other useful properties of Cardamom
Since cardamom gives out a sweet flavour, it was traditionally believed to possess aphrodisiac properties. Not only is cardamom regarded as an aphrodisiac, but it is also believed to possess the cure for impotence and premature ejaculation.
Treating urinary disorders
In Ayurveda, cardamom has been used as a remedy for urinary tract diseases and infections such as cystitis, nephritis, and gonorrhoea.
Hiccups can be very annoying, especially for children. There are several remedies prescribed in folk medicine and one of the most popular among them is startling a person who is hiccupping. This may or may not work most of the time. However, cardamom is another very effective remedy. Take few pods of cardamom and boil them in water. By drinking this water, one can get rid of hiccups.
How do you make Cardamom tea?
At teakruthi, we have our own special blend of cardamom tea, called Majestic Chai. However, for those of you more adventurous you may make it yourself. To prepare a cup of cardamom tea, all you need are cardamom seeds, black tea leaves, honey/sugar and hot water. If you wish to add more spices to your tea, you can also consider adding peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon. Milk can be added if you prefer it but the best benefits are reaped when it is prepared without milk.
The flavour of cardamom is very intense and other spices and sweeteners are can be added to balance it however some people enjoy the flavour of cardamom alone.
If you purchase dried cardamom pods, don’t remove the seeds from the pod until you are ready to brew the tea, as they lose their flavour and potency very quickly. To brew the tea, open the pods and crush the seeds into a rough powder to release the oils and active components.
In case you are using green cardamom powder, you can directly add it to boiling water.
- 1 tablespoon of cardamom seeds (crushed)
- 4 cups of water (filtered)
- 3 cloves (whole)
- 3 black peppercorns (whole)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey or 1 spoon sugar
- Step 1: Bring the water up to a boil in a stainless steel pot
- Step 2: Add the cardamom seeds, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon stick to the pot
- Step 3: Lower heat to a simmer and steep for 15–20 minutes
- Step 4: Remove from heat and allow the mixture to sit for 1–2 minutes
- Step 5: Strain the mixture into a teapot or cups
- Step 6: Add honey (or sugar) if desired to add sweetness. Enjoy!
Where can I get black tea to prepare cardamom tea?
Black tea of various tea grades is available at teakruthi. To know more about tea grades read What are the tea grades for Black Tea and what do they mean?
Broken Orange Pekoe One (BOP1)
At teakruthi, Colonial Mornings Pure Ceylon Black Tea (Rainforest Alliance Certified and UTZ Certified) is available as a BOP1 tea. This hand-plucked, hand-crafted blend originates from the Dimbulla region, one of Sri Lanka’s oldest plantation regions founded by English colonial traders. Sweet, spicy, strong flavours and a lingering perfume aroma leaves you feeling refreshed with a general sense of well-being. Our Colonial Mornings blend is crafted from leaves cultivated at high altitudes, giving it a medium to full body with slightly fruity, mineral notes and an appearance that is reddish-amber in colour. It is aromatic and floral with a fresh and clean flavour that makes for the perfect breakfast indulgence.
Southern Malt (Black Tea) is another BOP1 tea grade tea available at Teakruthi. This low grown tea has been hand-plucked from the southern part of Sri Lanka, where the unique composition of the soil makes it particularly special in taste and colour. This blend is considered one of the finest broken teas. Its rare, refined quality has made this tea a favourite in Russia and Germany. So, what makes Southern Malt so special? This is a full-bodied tea has a malty, fresh flavour, unlike any other tea. The southern soil of Sri Lanka nourished the leaves and gave them their black colour and brought strength to the cup. Its beautiful copper colour mirrors its taste in richness.
Royal Midlands (Black Tea) is also BOP1 tea grade. This medium grown blend is malty, fresh, slightly tart, and strong. For this Broken Orange Pekoe (BOP) grade tea, we use a wiry, medium-length leaf that provides this blend its malty flavour. The leaves are plucked from our plantations in Kandy, the ancient capital of Sri Lankan royalty. Kandy is situated at 2,000–4,000ft above sea level and is today known for its mid-grown teas recognized for its bright infusion and coppery tone. Although appearing light in the cup (dark gold,) Royal Midlands offers strength and body for a flavorful tasting experience.
Broken Pekoe One (BP1)
Pure Rainforest Indulgence Ceylon Black Tea is a low grown full-bodied blend that is hand-plucked from the shade of the Sinharaja Rainforest in Sri Lanka. Made from the highest quality leaves, Rainforest Indulgence offers a unique flavour. Rather than hand-rolling to bruise the leaf and introduce oxidation, this tea was produced by a modern mechanical process that instead of tears the leaf. Only limited amounts of Broken Pekoe (BP) grade Ceylon tea is produced, so this tea is truly a special morning treat. This strong tea is reddish-orange in colour.
Orange Pekoe (OP)
This grade of Wild Monsson Ceylon black tea is harvested from our Wild Monsoon blend from the Southern province of Sri Lanka in the Ruhuna tea district. This tea grows in an area nourished by high humidity and monsoon season and surrounded by diverse wildlife. The forests of Ruhuna are home to elephants, leopards, bears, wild boar, deer, giant flamingos, and of course, the finest teas. The area is teeming with life; it is never dull. Dark gold in colour, this tea is mild, malty, and fine, and delivers to your pallet a lively flavour that tastes like an adventure.
About the author
30% OFF your first teakruthi order with code MYTEA